Monday, July 10, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean

So, Matt and I ventured to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest this weekend. I’m not sure why, but it was interesting how much the movie focused on the immortal and how quickly individuals were willing to trade their eternity to gain something earthly. In fact, the eternal ends up being a currency that one could use in their favor because in the end you could always find a way to cheat your way out of eternal punishment. I wonder if that’s the modern view on the realm of the eternal?

I have to say that one of my favorite parts of the movie was when Jack predicts Miss. Swan will turn to piracy and forsake honor because she has a curiosity about it. Which proved more than accurate. You would think that with all that pirates did in history (not to mention how horribly disgusting they must have smelled), we wouldn’t think much of them. Yet they captivate our minds and have become our heroes. I never thought I would be a person who would go to the movies rooting for a pirate!

No comments:

Post a Comment