Monday, April 23, 2007

Spring Break Camp

So this is what you end up with when you have 13 seniors studying the wrath of God for 8 hours a day during spring break! Just kidding.

My brief time in California was really good! I was there for about 9 days, 7 of which I had the opportunity to return to my old stomping grounds (the UCSB's InterVarsity Chapter) and teach a manuscript study of Amos on Campus by the Sea.

It was fun to challenge students to thing about what God may or may not hold us responsible for and to think through what God might be calling each of them to after college. It was a pretty powerful time of prayer and scripture study. (And it was fun to see my former students!)

Personally, I was challenged to not let my hunger for God go unchecked. There is an interesting verse in Amos which says that "God will send a famine upon the land, not of bread but of his word" and that the young men and women will "wander to and fro looking for God but will not find him." I was surprised to find myself identifying with the hunger for God and convicted of the fact that even though I know I'm hungry for him, I've done precious little to be filled by him. I am not to unlike the young men and women "wandering looking for God" but not finding him because I get distracted by breakfast or laundry or physical food or spider solitaire! It's been a good lesson for me as I have returned back to life in Wisconsin.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:30 PM

    Awesome photo Sarah!!!!
    Looks like fun!
    Spider solitare?
    So good for you to see your parents. SO GOOD!
    Love ya
    Mom K

    ReplyDelete