Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ramsey



So to promote an upcoming Dave Ramsey course at church, this video was shown at church last week. I have to preface all this by saying that I enjoy Dave Ramsey's materials and I think he's helped a lot of people rethink their finances. And I want people at our church to go through his material. However, as I watched this video, I couldn't help but feel like there was something missing. I was tracking with the commercial until they got to the point of trading in the $6,000 car for an $11,000 car. I just kept thinking "what's wrong with the $6,000 car? Why trade that in if it's working just fine? And just because we 'save' the money, is it right to buy the newest and best?"

Now I know the video was making a point about how much better it is to save for a car than borrow money from the bank...but I still wonder if that's the right message for us as Christians.

I might need to dwell on this a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment