Sunday, November 05, 2006

On edge


I'm still in awe at the hike we took in Zion National Park in Utah. It was crazy hiking along the edge of cliffs and seeing signs every once in a while reminding us that people have fallen off the cliff on this hike and died. That definitely makes for a more interesting hike. I think one reason I keep thinking about this hike is that in many ways it feels like where I am at right now. Precariously balanced on a ledge trying not to fall. Mostly this is with work as I am learning a lot of new things and constantly finding I either am wrong about something or haven't a clue what is going on. It's defiantly been a humbling experience. I got a e-mail this past week which probably describes best how I've been feeling lately. The e-mail was in reference to Urbana (the convention I am working with) and how it is in a new location and venue this year. The writer stated that a significant move such as Urbana is making is very much so like a family moving across country.

"When a family moves, it inconveniences everyone.

· Moving uncovers all sorts of trash, clutter and stains.

· The family is extra cranky before, during and after the move.

· Living out of boxes is unavoidable—setting up a new house takes time.

· Moving reveals the broken furniture that has been propped up for years.

· The new house doesn’t meet all expectations.

· Moving is expensive.

· Moving stretches old relationships. Moving forces you to make new relationship"

After reading that e-mail, I realized the reason I feel so on edge has a lot to do with what moving allows to surface. But I'm greatful that God is keeping us safe on the path and that as precarious as it may seem, the view around us is stunning.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:16 PM

    What a hike!
    Keep on having a glorious time
    Yes, HE shows us beautiful views
    Much love
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete