Sunday, July 29, 2007

who is God?

The other week at Bible study we watched a sermon produced by "Nooma" entitled "Kickball". If you ever get chance to watch it, it's pretty good and is filmed in a more artsy style. Anyways, the subject of the talk was about our desires verses God's desires for us. In short the conclusion is that God's way is always better. Very simple sermon with a very simple point.

However I was blown away with a simple thought towards the end of the video. The pastor, Rob Bell, closes by saying that there are a lot of hard things that happen in life that we do not understand. That there are questions that do not have easy answers. Yet despite these injustices and questions, "who do you say that God is? Because how you choose to answer that question will determine how you answer all the hard questions and situation in life."

While simple, it's actually a pretty profound idea. Who do I say that God is? And how does my answer to that question determine my outlook on unjust and unanswerable things in this world? I came to the conclusion that I'm not sure I have an easy answer to who God is. Every time I try and answer, I feel like I'm leaving something out. I think the closest thing I've landed on is that God is the Omnipotent, Unfathomable, Righteous, Father. But....that doesn't seem to do justice to who God is.

It's an interesting idea to think about who God is and what implications that would have on your life perspective. If I say God is a King, that leaves room for him to be perhaps unapproachable and so in response to hard situations I could say they have occurred because God is preoccupied somewhere else. If I say God is a Father, that leaves room for him to be completely relational and more on a buddy buddy basis and so in response to hard situations I could say that they occurred because God doesn't have enough power or authority.

All I can say is that God sure is indescribable, and maybe that's where I should leave it.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:18 AM

    John White an outstanding author with
    IVP wrote a very thoughtful book
    entitled "Daring to Draw Near."
    It about our struggle with who God is and how close we can approach HIm.

    SInce it is a series of studies on
    different bible passages, it gives many different slants...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Defining God takes more than my head knowledge. A simple word or phrase can not effectively encompass the true meaning of who God is. Once we know Him intimatley we can say "He is God".
    However to describe God to another takes an entire sermon,unnumbered books, even a lifetime. Being a Child of God puts me in the most beautiful place under the "most perfect ONE".
    You have come upon one of the best studies, defining God. Carry on.
    You will love what you find
    The above mentioned book sounds really good. I have to check our library to see if we already have it.
    Love you both
    Mom K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading "Daring to Draw" near a long time ago. It must have been right as I was going to college. I'll have to dig that out again. It would be interesting to see if I'm challenged by different things this time. I remember it being a pretty powerful book.

    ReplyDelete