Monday, May 18, 2009

Week update

Matt made it down to Guatemala safely and his biggest comment so far is that it is "musty" (whatever that means). He was off to some volcano today to interview some people in a Mayan village that is supposedly "by the most beautiful lake in the world". I have to admit I was a bit jealous when I read that email this morning as I sat down in my dark cave of a cube. Oh well...I guess I'll have to settle for my picture of the ocean sitting on my desk.

On the home front...I got my tomatoes in the garden this past weekend. It's not quite as exciting as climbing a volcano...but I met 3 fellow gardeners I hadn't met yet and fought with about 150 foot watering hose. One of the other gardeners was saying that it's really not safe to plant much before May 28th because of the frost. But it's been so warm lately and the forecast doesn't seem to be headed back down into the 30's anytime soon...so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping I'm not pushing my luck by planting so much this soon. If any thing I've got some great looking peas coming up and they should manage through the frost ok.

I also started reading "Justification" by NT Wright this past weekend. I enjoyed Wright's book "Surprised by Hope" quite a lot so I'm anxious to see if "Justification" is just as good. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:09 PM

    Hi Sarah
    We are happy to hear Matt and company arrived safely
    Don't worry about the garden. If it gets cold and freezes you can just plant more later---I never could understand how we were to know when the "last frost" is until no more arive. HA!
    Love fresh grown vegetables!!!
    We are praying for you as well as Matt
    Love you
    Mom and Dad K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Yay! Tomatoes and volcanoes! That really is quite exciting news, both domestic and abroad. I read two different blogs today about tomatoes and South America, and your blog pos combined the two! One friend of mine is in Panama right now and another made salsa verde with her... tomatillos? Maybe they're not tomatoes, but it's salsa, close enough!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete