Monday, July 27, 2009

Knowing When to Stop

I wonder if learning "when to stop" is a skill that becomes easier over time? Like learning when to stop pestering someone...or tinkering with recipes...or take time away from work....

My recent frustrations have been over a quilt design. Last year I had (what I thought) was a brilliant design. I have started this thing about 3 times now and it no longer looks anything like what I had down on paper. I'm at the point where I could stop now and just be done with it and it would look great. But a part of me is still frustrated that it's only 1/2 the size of my original plan and so I keep tinkering with it to try and make it work. After 2 days of tinkering...it's now larger and looks even better...but now I'm back to the same question. Do I stop now? Or keep tinkering. The never ending struggle!

In other news...Japanese beetles are attacking my giant marigolds. I guess there is not much that stops these little pests...so I think I might have to resort to plucking them off by hand and putting them into soap water which supposedly kills them. Someone suggested hand picking 10 to 15 of them, depositing them in a blender and blending them up...the blended mixture then gets mixed with water and sprayed on plants and supposedly the smell of their dead relatives keeps them away. I think I'll pass on that one.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    UGH!!!
    What about spraying the plants and bugs with soapy water. Usuallly the soap keeps the bugs from being able to breathe.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Mom K

    ReplyDelete