Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Spotting the Sacred

My newest book recommendation is a book I picked up off the free table at work called "Spotting the Sacred" by Bruce Main. I'm not sure why it ended up on the free table because it is a great book! I was pretty skeptical when I picked it up...but it's honesty and simplicity is pretty powerful stuff. It's mainly a collection of stories from Bruce of the way's he's spotted the sacred in his every day life as a minister within an urban context. Bruce is a great story teller and had me almost in tears by the end of the first chapter chapter. Which either that means I'm pretty stressed out or he's a really good writer. I'm going to go with the good writing.

Anyways, it's been a good reminded to watch for the ways every day things such as a sack of potatoes or random conversations can become "sacred". (It's also made me think that I'm becoming to much like my father who I've watched tear up over simple yet profound stories like these. Dad....you'd love this book :))

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:54 AM

    Another favorite of the same genre is
    "Windows of the Soul" by Ken Gire.
    He has a unique way of seeing through
    the window...not just seeing the window itself.

    ReplyDelete