Friday, June 22, 2012

Adventures in Gardening - Heat

Unlike the past three years of gardening, this year has been really hot and dry. Normally I don't have to go out and water very much (maybe once a week or every other week). But this year it has felt like I've been out every 3 or 4 days.

Yesterday in particular as I was giving the garden a good soak I found myself praying for rain and realizing once again how dependent we are on God. With all our technology, weather information, and specialized garden gear, we still can't control the weather. I guess that's probably a good thing.

I was also reminded of a verse in Amos which says "I sent rain on one town, but withheld it from another. One field had rain; another had none and dried up." I don't think I ever understood that verse before moving to the Midwest.

Case in point, about 4 to 6 weeks ago we did get a strong rain storm. I was driving back from a doctor's appointment and was stopped at a stop light. There was no rain falling where I was stopped, but not more than 10 feet in front of me was a line of heavily falling rain. Rain really can just fall on one "field" and not one less than a mile or half a mile away.

Now, we're still probably getting more rain than California...but it sure would be nice not to have to water so often. And it would have been nice for my spinach and bok choi not to have bolted and gone to seed so soon. But I'm probably just being selfish.

The only plus side of this heat so far is that the tomatoes are loving it. They are looking quite happy. And I'm hoping they stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment