Sunday, February 11, 2007

Greek Conference





So… I (matt) just got back from InterVarsity’s Greek Conference. I bet you didn’t know that InterVarsity even had a Greek ministry! For someone who doesn’t associate with Fraternity and Sorority types I can see where all the stereotypes arrive: the outgoing loud party animals sure did live up to their potential but I was also struck by another fact; these are tomorrows leaders. I learned that Greeks are the most driven partiers I know, and these 600 were striving to go somewhere for God. There was more to the weekend than the Tacky Dance Party on Saturday night; there were seminars about sex and intimacy, there were students struggling over issues of oppression and hate in the world, there were Greeks learning how to share their faith with others like them, there were amazing talks by pastor Alec Gee about being desperate for God, and there was a track where students that were unsure who Jesus is and who had tough questions were met where 85 people became Christians!

I was lucky to interact with students and staff as I helped 2100 tech and photograph the event. You can see some of the photos I took as a slideshow at http://www.intervarsity.org/greek/conference/indy/ as well as links to talks and student quotes.

I am not about to go and join Alpha Gamma Omega but I guess my perception of the Fraternity and Sorority life is a little bit different now.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Matt
    How awesome to be a part of Gods work at the Greek Conference. The Heavens rejoice for the new 85 Christians.
    Love seeing your photos and reading of your adventures
    Warmly ;-}
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your perspective shift amigo.

    God is faithful.

    thanks for running the great race and encouragingme along the way.

    thanks for sharing the photographs.

    ReplyDelete