Thursday, February 01, 2007

Car adventures

When we moved out to Wisconsin, Matt and I decided it would be in our best interests to sell one of our cars and just drive one out. By the luck of the draw, my wonderful silver Mazda Protégé lost out to the mean and tough and majorly altered Jeep Cherokee. Reason's being that "we needed a good snow car" (-unnamed source).

Ever since moving, we've been having off and on trouble with our mean and tough Jeep Cherokee. It seems it can't handle the cold. Today however was by far the best. After work I decide to run an errand to JoAnn Fabric store. It's a good place to go when Matt is away at a conference. Anyways, I come out to the car and low and behold it will not start! I hear clicking and but no go. I sit in the car for about 2 minutes trying to decide what to do. Do I leave the car and walk the three blocks home? Do I call AAA and see if they can come out and help? Or do I sit in the car contemplating such life altering decisions while the temperature continues to drop to a comfortable 10 degrees? I decided to call AAA. To my surprise, low and behold my membership had expired yesterday! (ah, the joys of forgetting to update your address and slow mail forwarding). So 30 minutes later after updating all my records and paying membership fees, the desperate plea for help finally goes out from AAA to some tough Wisconsin man just waiting to go out into the cold to rescue poor stranded ladies like myself.

Deciding I've had enough of the 10-degree weather, I head back into JoAnn's to try and thaw my now frozen toes off. I head over to the only window where you can see the Jeep to watch for the tow truck. Pushing aside long strands of spring florals I gazed out into the frozen wasteland of a parking lot.

A half an hour later the tow truck arrives and the big burly mechanic pronounces that the starter is dead! But will that stop a Wisconsin man? Nope, he raises our big burly Jeep onto his even more monstrous truck and tilts the bed up on a sharp angle. The with a gleam in his eyes he says, "jump into the car little lady, put your foot on the break and push the clutch in as hard as you can, and then when I yell go, let your foot off the break and two seconds after hitting the pavement let go of the clutch!"

"What the....." I respond!

"Trust me! It's fun" He responds.

So I get my wimpy shivering California butt into the Jeep and close my eyes as I let go of the break. Thud goes the car, off goes my foot off the clutch and up roars the engine into life! Who would have thought!

So my toes are still thawing out and I'm starting to see some humor in all this...and boy I can' t wait till Matt calls home tonight to tell him that I broke the jeep!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:50 PM

    You have an awesome sense of humor Sarah
    Let us know how you are doing
    Mom K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah-

    lol. what a story. it sounds dreadfully cold out there. I loved all the details of your story. especially using the tow truck lift as your "hill" to get the car moving and drop it into gear. i would have never thought...
    stay warm!

    -g

    ReplyDelete