Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Garden Update

I picked 30 tomatoes yesterday. Since I didn't get any last year due to the dreaded blight...I have a strong sense of victory.  And the best part yet is that there are still a lot of tomatoes on the vine!  Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these tomatoes.

In other tomato news, we received a few green tomatoes last week in our CSA box. The recommended making fried green tomatoes out of them.  Since I've never tried that, I thought why not?  And the verdict is....not as great as I thought they would be.  They were a lot more sour than I was expecting.  We did find that dipping them in BBQ sauce did make a difference.  I guess I'll never be a southerner.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:38 PM

    Congratulations on your tomato victory!!
    At the very least you can blend them (in a blender of course) making two cups tomato sauce. Place in a freezer zip-lock add a pinch of soda---to help neutralize the acid and freeze
    Ready made tomato sauce
    Or how about making tomato soup
    Lets see what your friends have to add
    Mom Kirk

    ReplyDelete