Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Living with only 100 Things

I have to admit that the recent NY Times article about only living with 100 items is slightly intriguing to me.  I read the article yesterday and all I've done since then is mentally start counting whatever is in the room I'm currently in.   Bedroom 400 plus items (man, we have a lot of clothes), Living room 200 plus items, Kitchen...wow, I don't even want to know. 

In many ways, the article reminded me of the various summer I spent living out of a small suitcase.  Even then it always surprised me that there were still items in that suitcase that I never touched over the 6 weeks.  At the end of each trip I was shook my head at these items thinking "why in the world did I think I would need this?"

Ironically I've heard Mark 6:8/ Luke 9:3 referenced a number of times over the past two weeks from various people and places.  This is the passage where Jesus sends out his disciples and commands them to "take nothing with them"...no purse, no bread, no money, no extra clothes.  It's a challenging statement about the power of stuff and how little is really needed in life when you are following God.  It makes me wonder what stuff I'll be shaking my head over when this life is over thinking "why in the world did I think I would need this?"

So 100 personal items, huh?  Maybe I'll start with my clothes....hmmm...do shoes count as 1 item or two?

1 comment:

  1. Great article, Sarah! It had some good points and helped me think through my own purging experience. I've gotten rid of a *ton* of things in the past three weeks...and I think that shoes count as 1 item. :)

    ReplyDelete