Tuesday, January 04, 2011

The Calling

Watch the full episode. See more Independent Lens.

Flipping through our 10 TV channels last month, we stumbled upon a documentary called The Calling by Independent Lens. It’s an ambitious documentary that follows seven different individuals from various faith backgrounds as they pursue their calling into religious service (Muslims, Catholics, Evangelical Christians, and Jews).


I’d highly recommend watching it if you ever have four hours to spare.  It's actually worth it.

A few things I was struck by:

This was not a documentary about the differences between the various faiths. It does however focus almost exclusively on the idea of a “calling” and how each of these individuals relates to the calling on their lives. I was a bit disappointed they didn’t get into some of the differences between the faiths, but I think that would have distracted from the power of the documentary if they had done so.

The Catholic Church was portrayed in a more positive light than what I’ve become accustomed to in the media. It was refreshing to see.

I’m not entirely sure why, but I came away thinking about religious traditions and whether the Evangelical/Protestant church has thrown out to many.

No comments:

Post a Comment