Sunday, March 04, 2012

Owl Quilt

It seems now a day's I'm consistently being asked two questions: 1) How are you feeling, 2) Are you making a baby quilt?

I'd actually been a bit undecided about making a baby quilt. There are so many cute ones already out there that in some ways it just seemed easier to buy one instead of make one. And I tend to take way to long making quilts so I wasn't sure I could fit in another project.

However, I reconsidered after seeing this quilt:


It looked really simple and for some reason I liked the owls (must be all that Harry Potter influence coming out). So I took this on as a three weekend project. And here's the result:






Since I wanted this to be a quick quilt, I decided to machine stitch it all (which was a first for me). I still like the way hand stitching turns out over machine. But for something like this, the machine worked just fine. The other challenge was I wanted to use fabric that I already had. It turns out I have a lot of blue fabric which isn't necessarily the go to color of choice for a baby girl. But I think by using the flower print and a white fabric that has a little more of a lacy feel...it has a bit more of a girl flare than a boy.

Either way, I like how it turned out. So now when people ask if I'm going to make a baby quilt, I can say...been there done that.

1 comment: