Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Garden Exploded


This year I tried to cut back on my garden by spacing plants out a bit more than normal. I planted 4 tomato plants instead of 6, two zucchini plants instead of 3, two cucumber vines, and a bunch of corn. I also tried to plant things that would take less maintenance since I wasn't sure how often I'd be able to get out with a newborn.

I don't know if it was the extra room I gave the plants in the garden, or if it was the crazy heat we had this summer, or if I just lucked out this year, but all my plants ended up looking massive and very healthy. Ironically sometimes I think that the less I do out in the garden, the better my plants look.

My other theory is that I was about 2-3 weeks late in getting the seeds planted. That coupled with an early spring I think made me miss the first round of bugs. However this year I have had more problems with rabbits and squirrels.

Anyhow, I finally took Emma out to the garden with me the other day and it went better than I expected. She slept the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment