Saturday, January 12, 2008

Politics

I have to admit that I haven't been keeping up with the current political happenings as well as I probably should...but Matt and I watched Bill Moyer's Journal last night on PBS and were really challenged by what we heard and saw. The two segments are both on line and are well worth the watch if you have an hour.

The first interview with Kathleen Hall Jamison was very informative. She mainly is commenting on the New Hampshire race and some of the craziness that went along there. Mostly it was nice to get a slightly less mainstream look at the race there.

The second interview was with a guy named Shelby Steel. This one was quite provocative as he basically critiqued Obama and the role race is playing in this election. Overall, the interview is more of a blunt look at the reality of race in America and how much mistrust still exists for both blacks and whites. As a Christian, it challenged me to think about the ways I myself am prone towards mistrust and made me realize how little I acknowledge that mistrust or submit that to our Lord. While I am still very unsure of Obama in general mainly because I can't seem to figure out for sure his stance on what I feel are more of the bigger issues (such as education, HelthCare/Social Security, our current shaky position as a country in the rest of the world), it did make me realize that out of everyone running, he's probably the one who is and will be under the most scrutiny, pressure and attack. And that has got to be a hard place to be. This one is well worth the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment