Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Show me the money: part 1

One of the hotter topics around the Kirk table these days is what to do with the rebate check coming our way (or at least we think is coming our way). Opinions have ranged from giving it all away to a struggling food pantry to buying a new wardrobe to a new camera lens. And yes there have been weeping and gnashing of teeth. However despite all the "discussion", both of us always come back to the fact that we are Christians and we want to honor God in using this money. But with competing personal desires, it’s hard to sort out what is “right” in God’s eyes with what tickles our materialistic fancies.

In many ways I resonate with a recent John Piper blog entry where he comments that

Nobody in the world will see you spend your [rebate check] on yourself and conclude that Christ is your treasure. They will assume you are just like them, no matter how loudly you thank God for this boon. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t spend it on yourself (the way we do with most of what we earn). Not everything we do can look different from the world—eat, pay utilities, fill up the car, wear clothes (even thrift-store clothes). And yes, we hope (somehow) that spending on ourselves in some way contributes to our being more Christ-exalting people. But do we really need this money? Very few do. We would have gotten on fine without it.
If we didn’t know it was coming, we wouldn’t even be feeling the desires we are feeling right now.”

The moment I heard money was coming our way, desires were not just awoken, they exploded. I can’t tell you how many hours have been wasted visioning of new gadgets, new cars, and fun vacations. As I flirt with these desires, I can help but realize how much materialism has been ingrained not only in my personal life, but in our country as well.

to be continued tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Ohhhh, this is one of those stab/twist issues/posts. Noice.

    In the case of my family, they had been in rather desperate need of a new vacuum cleaner--all three of the partially-working old ones were really and truly failing on us for the last time. So the check came at just the right time to buy... erm, three new vacuum cleaners. *Really* nice vacuum cleaners, and each with a different especial purpose, so we won't wear them out as fast. We have a really big house with a lot of dust/animal hair...

    Anyway. God graciously gave us the opportunity not to have much of a choice: we had a semi-dire need and the extra money was clearly there to resolve it for us. I'm personally not so sure we needed *three* new vacuums... but I think the testimony to God's overabundant provision exactly when we needed it was pretty cool. What we're supposed to do when the need-to-solution path is not so clear, I'm not so sure... but that's my story. Maybe save the money until such a deliberate need for it--whether yours or someone else's--arises?

    I will end lengthy comment here and continue to muse on my own. Oh, and *waves at Matt and Sarah* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I didn't know you had a blog! Sweet!

    Ya, I think for many...the tax rebate will be a testament of how God chose to provide.

    I think it's been good for me not just to accept it right off the bat and struggle a bit with the implications this money might have on my own life as well as others.

    catch you around!

    ReplyDelete