Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Cucumber Overload


Here's the count so far:
  • 6 pints of pickle relish
  • 7 pints of dill pickles
  • 5 jars of strawberry sauce (attempted jam but it didn't set)
  • 1 jar of wild black berry jelly

(Ok, so those last two on the list aren't cucumber related...but they fit into my canning craze.)

It sure fills like summer with all the veggies ripening at once. I picked over 15 cucumbers at once last weekend and since Matt was shooting a wedding last weekend, I had plenty of time to do some canning. However after 7 jars of dill pickles and 6 jars of pickle relish, I'm feeling like I could be done with the cucumbers. Unfortunately, it looks like the plants are no where near being done.

I'm also feeling like I might be losing the battle with the squash. I think my sister secretly hates me because she planted 4 yellow horn squash plants but then left before they started to ripen. I think we've picked about 30 squash so far in the last two weeks. And I'm out of squash ideas.

But it's fun to have fresh veggies again and although it's a lot of work, I really do enjoy canning.

Any recommendations for what to do with yellow squash?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:47 AM

    Sure: Target Practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy Hauptman6:46 PM

    um you could mail them to me!!!!! =) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, you can thank me later..... BUT, have you two thought about SQUASH PATTIES?????

    Squash Patties

    3/4 cup Jiffy cornbread mix
    2 cups cooked yellow squash, mashed
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 egg

    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray. Stir together all the ingredients until well combined. Drop the batter onto the prepared sheet or into the muffin cups in heaping tablespoons. Spray the tops of the patties with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, flip the patties, and bake for 20 minutes more. (You may also bake the patties in a mini-muffin pan.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. for you: http://amyhauptman.blogspot.com/2011/08/may-your-love-be-like-squash.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:49 PM

    A restaurant I like makes wonderful sandwiches of grilled squash and onions with Gruyere!

    ReplyDelete